Greek Salad – This salad is loaded with fresh cucumber, tomatoes, bell pepper, red onion, Kalamata olives, and lots of feta cheese. It’s so simple to prepare, and is guaranteed to blow your family and friends away.
Here’s to my all-time favourite salad! This recipe is simple, fast, and adds a nice burst of summer to your kitchen any time of the year. As cucumber’s #1 fan, this is something I can eat every day without getting sick of.
I have one extra step that I like to take with my version of greek salad. I love onions in and on anything, but I just hate how long the taste of raw onion lingers. You can brush your teeth three times in a row but it still just won’t go away! My solution for this is to blanch the onions by dicing them, putting them in a strainer, and then pouring two cups of boiling water on them. Let them sit in the dressing for about 10 minutes, and then mix everything together with the vegetables. This gives them a light pickle, and eliminates the raw flavour! It really is a win-win.
You can leave this extra step out, of course, to make the whole process a bit faster. It only adds a few extra minutes to the total time and I really believe that it makes a huge difference, so I hope you try it out! Leave a comment and rate this recipe if you make it and let me know what you think.
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- juice from half a lemon
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 english cucumber cubed
- 1 bell pepper cubed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives pitted
- 1 cup feta cheese 1/2 crumbled, 1/2 cubed
- Blanch the diced onion by placing it in a strainer, and pouring 2 cups of boiling water over it. Transfer the onion to a large salad bowl, and mix in the red wine vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, sugar, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Mix well, and place in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Mix the cucumber, bell pepper, tomatoes, olives, and feta into the salad bowl and combine well with the dressing. Refrigerate until ready to serve.